About our Church and Faith
The Heart of Texas Orthodoxy since 1949...
St. Nicholas is part of the Metropolis of Denver, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, and serves all traditions of Orthodoxy in the Central Texas area. Our parishioners include Romanians, Ukrainians, Russians, Lebanese, Syrians, and Greeks along with American converts. All Orthodox churches are one church. The ethnic designation refers to what is called the parish's "jurisdiction" and identifies which bishops hold authority there. There are about 6 million Orthodox in North America and 250 million in the world, making Orthodoxy the second-largest Christian communion.
St. Nicholas began from the early 1900s Greek community in Waco and was formally chartered in 1949. We continue to worship in the original building on the corner of 17th and Sanger Ave. in Waco with our hope of building a new church on our property in the North Waco/China Spring area.
Our services are almost entirely in English with Greek spoken in repetition of English responses. While we attempt to honor the customs of all our members, our liturgical practices follow those of the Greek tradition, particularly those of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Visitors are encouraged to participate in our services (please refer to the Visitors page of this website) and our parishioners welcome visitors' questions.